Tech Journey, Inc. (or “Tech Journey”) has a strong interest in protecting the safety of all individuals involved in its mission, especially the youth participating in its programs. The Safety Policy and Guidelines included herein has been developed to provide minimum specific guidelines of a safe, educational and enjoyable experience for all participants of programs delivered by Tech Journey.
The Tech Journey Executive Director is responsible for carrying out the details of this policy. This policy is effective as of the most recent date listed in the Change Log section below.
The term participant refers to all employees, independent contractors, Board of Directors, volunteers, students, parents, guardians and other persons or entities taking part in or attending a Tech Journey activity.
The term activity refers to any specific one event or series of events delivered by Tech Journey to carry out its mission. Activities may take place on site at a venue or online virtually.
The term activity supervisor refers to the individual designated by Tech Journey to serve as the point of contact for the activity in question.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Tech Journey acknowledges our role and responsibility for enhancing the personal growth and development of youth participating in our programs. We take seriously our position of influence and expect all participants to treat one another with respect, courtesy and dignity and for our staff and volunteers to be positive role models for youth.
In addition to prohibiting harassment and violence as described below, Tech Journey forbids the following by participants during an activity:
- Use, possession or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs;
- Use of profanity, vulgarity, or harassing language; and
- Use of pornography or materials containing explicit words, descriptions or images of sexual organs or activity.
Tech Journey, Inc. is committed to providing an environment free of any unlawful harassment and strictly prohibits sexual harassment and harassment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. All such harassment is unacceptable.
Sexual harassment includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Examples of sexual harassment include sexual jokes or innuendoes, sexual stories, sexual objects, sexual gestures, inappropriate sexual contact, leers, stares, whistles, blocking a path or exit and many others.
Other discrimination-based harassment includes verbal or physical conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual because of his/her race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, military status or disability as well as those of his/her relatives, friends or associates. Common examples of discriminatory harassment include inappropriate jokes, slurs, hostile acts or pranks, negative stereotyping, threats and many others.
In the interest of the safety and well-being of all, Tech Journey prohibits violence. It is the intent of this policy to ensure that no participant ever feels threatened by another’s action or conduct. Tech Journey prohibits the following by participants:
- Acts of physical assault, acts which threaten physical assault, use of physical force against others, acts of intimidation or acts which endanger the safety of others;
- Acts resulting in the misuse or destruction of equipment or property, or any substantial threat to destroy property;
- Behavior demonstrating loss of control or indicating potential for violence, including throwing objects and brandishing weapons; and
- Possession of weapons including guns, knives, explosives or other items with the potential to inflict harm.
Tech Journey is committed to youth protection and safety and believes that providing an environment where all participants feel safe is paramount to carrying out its mission.
- All participants should maintain appropriate physical boundaries at all times.
- A minimum of two staff or volunteers must be present with all children during the activity in question and remain present until all children are back with their parent/guardian.
- One-on-one interaction shall take place only when and where the interaction can be observable by other volunteers or staff.
- Staff and volunteers shall not meet with minor children outside of established activity locations or outside of established activity times.
- Staff and volunteers shall not invite minor children to private residences or other private locations or accept their invitations for the same.
Tech Journey acknowledges food allergy reactions vary among individuals and they can have life-threatening consequences. Accidental exposure can be reduced by working with activity participants, parents/guardians for minor children and healthcare officials to minimize risk and provide a safe environment. When snacks or food is provided during an activity, Tech Journey shall proactively identify any potential food allergies and make appropriate accommodations for those participants following local, regional and national health authorities.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION
All staff and volunteers directly involved with the delivery of Tech Journey activities will receive an orientation that includes review and receipt of Tech Journey’s Safety Policy & Guidelines.
REPORTING AND RESOLUTION
Any participant who has been harmed, in fear of imminent harm, feels he/she is a victim of any harassment or has reasonable suspicion or knowledge of another abusing this policy should contact the activity supervisor, any Tech Journey Director or law enforcement officials immediately. Violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action potentially resulting in the participant’s removal from the activity for an appropriate time to be determined by staff. Tech Journey will, as necessary, take disciplinary action, up to and including legal action for violations of this policy.
SAFETY ACTION PLANS
Tech Journey assumes the best of people and trusts that all participants care about the well-being of others and desire to make wise decisions when informed through communication of policy, guidelines and plans. Tech Journey acknowledges activities have different risk profiles influenced by various factors including, but not limited to, meeting frequency, attributes of the venue, the purpose and objectives of the activity, environmental hazards, who is participating and the education of participants. Mitigating risks and making wise decisions can be accomplished through proper assessment and implementation of multifaceted safety plans.
Each Tech Journey activity, whether it be a single event or follow a recurring schedule, must have an approved and documented safety action plan. Action plans for each activity must include at a minimum:
- Assessment of the activity’s risk and mitigation potential;
- Steps and responsibilities to be taken for child protection, cleanliness and sanitization, food safety, privacy, communication and emergency procedures;
- The activity supervisor and his/her contact information; and
- Communication of this policy, the safety action plan and applicable procedures to all participants.
If an activity cannot accommodate this policy, prior written approval from the Tech Journey Board of Directors is needed before such activity may be conducted. The Tech Journey Board of Directors reserves the right to discontinue an activity if found to be in violation of this policy and approved safety action plan.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
For more information, please contact us.
Board of Directors resolution February 19, 2021